Saturday, April 23, 2011

Seatac and books about airplanes.

So I've landed at Seatac twice in a row this week. Haha. Jesse's started calling me Seatac Girl. I like Sherlock more.

The whole airport lights up like a Christmas tree.

AND.

I'm editing a book. For this lovely lady.



It's a dark thriller about airplanes and conspiracies and craziness and pilots. What's not to love?

The funny thing is that I started going to college to become a book editor. Halfway through this year, I decided I didn't like overloading on English literature classes and switched my major to computer science. I never would have met her if I hadn't started flying, and I never would have gotten the chance to edit her book, which I am almost finished reading at the moment. She also just gave me Easter candy and a t-shirt that says "Today is my day to fly!" because it is. She's so inspiring and amazing. I hope we can both be small plane instructors one day. :)

I love editing. I have a mental map of the book, and boy, is this one ever a labyrinth. Think three-dimensional Midwestern corn maze. It's quite a wild ride. A lot of it scares me, but it reveals a lot about the current state of the commercial aviation industry, stuff that most people don't even think about or can imagine happening. I imagine a lot of it is scarier to me as a student pilot because not only do I fly ten miles south of the airport where it takes place, but also because this was initially why I wanted to learn to fly. I still want to pilot a 787 someday. I don't want to say I'm rethinking it because of her novel, but it is helping me put things into perspective. Commercial flying isn't red carpets and piano lounges anymore.

However you look at it, it's a great book. You need to buy it and help us make enough money so I can edit the movie script too. Also Karlene and I need to buy a purple Warrior to practice in. Just saying.

6 comments:

Karlene Petitt said...

Not only are you going to be my editor... you are going to be my publicist! You've captured the story.
So fun! And... don't be scared. Be afraid. Very afraid!

Pat said...

Put me down as wanting to be first in line for an autographed copy. I've got my lawn chair and umbrella ready!

Karlene Petitt said...

You've Got it!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey!! I want to be second in line for the autographed copy... I think a great thriller would be a great weekend read on one of these wet ones!!!
Louise

Chatsphotogpilot said...

Can't wait to get my hands on a copy!

Karlene Petitt said...

Oh... I can hardly wait to sign all your copies! Thanks everyone!